Also if you're going to join a gym visit them at the same time you plan on going if not at the peak time 5-6pm so you can see how busy it will be or quite it will be. I see so many people make this mistake visiting when its quite of a day time then planing to go in the evenings. It will give you a better idea if you go at the time you'd actually work out at.
- Don't overdo it - just do what you can and try to push yourself each day set your own goals and try to beat yourself. Do not try to keep up with other people.
- Don't spend a fortune on your gym clothes. It wont make you any fitter or loose weight any faster. They tend not to go out of style anyway and you'll be sweating in them. Just make sure there comfortable. I try to get high waisted joggers for when your bending over the last thing you want is a builders bum! So wait till the sales.
- Track your progress - the best thing I've done is invest in a heart rate monitor so you can actually see what your doing. It shows you when your working hardest so you can see what works your body the best and how many calories you burn.
- Just think - I don't do diets. just be conscious of what your eating you can have snacks just remember not everyday. Think before you eat is it worth it? and how hard will you have to work to make up for it.
- Don't take weekends off. That's 2 days you will properly eat crap and sit on your bum. No, Don't keep going like normal it should be a lifestyle change not a chore. Even if you do 30 mins on weekends it makes a difference.
- Start small - Little changes e.g if you always drink pop try to change to water cutting pop down to every other day and so on.